Kentucky Wesleyan College’s Bachelor of Science in General Studies is an online program that emphasizes the knowledge and abilities most demanded in today’s society: Oral and written communication, critical thinking, problem-solving, effective use of technology and global awareness. The General Studies online program offers you the flexibility to choose courses that meet your interests and professional goals in the following “core areas”: Behavioral Studies, Business Studies, Education Studies, English, Humanities, and Social Sciences. As an online student in the General Studies program, you will work with your online advisor to create a degree plan and course of study that fits your needs.
Professionals who earn a bachelor’s in General Studies degree have numerous opportunities to advance their career within their place of employment or other private or public companies and organizations. Your liberal arts/ general studies degree is a solid career preparation and highly desirable by employers. Positions that benefit from a bachelor degree in general studies may include executive assistant, business manager, operations assistant manager, account manager, sales associate or manager, marketing specialist, public relations manager, department administrator, customer service manager, etc.
120 hours of credit with a minimum 2.0 GPA in all courses taken in each of the three core areas selected; 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA. General Requirements
- 120 hours of credit with a minimum 2.0 GPA in all courses taken in each of three core areas selected; 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA.
- The last 30 credit hours after acceptance to the General Studies degree program must be completed at Kentucky Wesleyan College.
- At least 42 hours of credit must be taken in courses numbered 3000 or above.
- Grades of D are not acceptable in core area courses.
- All General Education Programme requirements must be met (per Kentucky Wesleyan College’s Graduation Check Sheet) for a total of 39 credit hours.
- Three core areas must be selected, each including a minimum of 15 credit hours of coursework (45 credit hours), from the core of the Bachelor of Science in General Studies.
- The remaining 30 credit course hours may be chosen from any core area. A minimum of 15 of these 30 credit hours must be a 3000 or 4000 level course.
- Core areas may be selected from the following: Business Studies, Education Studies, English, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
- Of the 15 credit hours required for each of the three core areas, six credit hours must be 3000 or 4000 level courses.
- An additional Capstone Course of three credit hour course (*) will be required in one of the three chosen core areas.
- No more than six courses may be taken from any core area.
- Students may transfer up to 90 semester hours from an accredited four-year college or up to 60 semester hours from accredited two-year colleges.
- Grades earned at other colleges will not be computed in determining students’ grade point average at Kentucky Wesleyan College.
Capstone Course Requirement
- General Studies students must complete an approved three-credit hour Capstone Course in one of their three chosen core areas. NOTE: This is in addition to the already required 15 credit hours requirement within three chosen core areas.
All Capstone Course requirements are 4000-level specified courses. All Capstone Course requirements MUST be approved by the program advisor for the General Studies degree.
International Student Admission
Kentucky Wesleyan College welcomes students from throughout the world. International students must submit an application, an English translation of their secondary school transcript, and ACT or SAT scores. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOFEL) test is required for all non-native speakers of English with a minimum TOEFL score of 520 (paper based), 70 (internet based), or 200 (computer-based). As the federal law does not permit them employment, international students must also submit a certification of finances attesting to the willingness and ability of their parent(s) or guardian(s) to offer them financial support while attending Kentucky Wesleyan College. Upon being granted admission to the college, international students are required to submit a $500 tuition deposit and a $100 housing deposit (resident students only). Once the student’s deposit is received, Kentucky Wesleyan College will issue the student an I-20 immigration form.
Core Areas of Study (choose any 3 areas from the list below):
- Business Studies
- Education Studies
- Social Sciences
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 24, 2017