Bachelor of Science in Human Sciences
The Bachelor of Science in Human Sciences is designed for students who wish to pursue multiple fields of study within the College of Human Sciences. It provides flexibility for students to explore specific areas of interest, work toward career goals, or prepare for graduate or professional study. Students are required to select three areas of concentration, which are similar in content to a minor.
Each concentration consists of a minimum of 18 semester hours for a total of 54 minimum hours. Two concentrations must be in the College of Human Sciences and may be selected from addictive disorders and recovery studies; apparel design and manufacturing; community, family, and addiction sciences; human development and family studies; interior design; nutritional sciences; personal financial planning; restaurant, hotel, and institutional management; retail management; personal finance, youth development, and family and consumer sciences extension education.
Students are also required to complete the core curriculum required by both the university and the College of Human Sciences for a total of 120 semester hours.
- 120 credit hours
- Coursework is completed primarily online. Some courses, like lab sciences, cannot be taught online and must be taken face-to-face at a college or university in your area.
- Prerequisite: high school diploma or GED
- Students are not required to enrol in a certain number of courses each semester, so completion time varies by individual.
- Semester-based courses run with the Academic Calendar of Texas Tech University. New students may enrol at the beginning of any one of the four yearly sessions.
Although there is no application deadline, potential students are encouraged to submit all application materials at least three months prior to projected initial enrollment.
1. Apply to Texas Tech University as either a first-time freshman or an undergraduate transfer.
- The application fee is $75 for U.S. students and $125 for international applicants.
- In addition to applying, you will need to submit ACT or SAT scores and an official high school transcript with class rank.
2. Apply for financial aid and/or scholarships.
- Financial aid is distributed based on full-time enrollment and several other eligibility requirements. Your enrolled hours as of the 12th day of class in the fall and spring semesters determines your enrollment status for the semester, and financial aid is disbursed accordingly. Attending less than full-time could mean a reduction in aid.
3. Upon acceptance, you will be assigned an advisor to ensure your continuous progress towards the degree. If you receive a letter of rejection, there is an opportunity for filing a re-evaluation request if performance improves.
- Texas Tech University will notify you of your application status by updating the Applications tab in your Raiderlink.
Curriculum for B.S. in Human Sciences
Total hours required for degree: 120
Students who will graduate under a catalogue previous to 2012-2013 must meet the Technology and Applied Science requirement of the core.
* Choose from core curriculum requirements.
† Choose from ADRS 2310, HDFS 2322, PFP 3301, NS 1325.
‡ Prerequisites and restrictions apply.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 13, 2018