General Overview Graduate Business Certificate
The Graduate Business Certificate program is designed for students interested in gaining advanced skills in business. For some students, it can serve as a pathway to the MBA program. The Certificate curriculum provides coverage in management, economics, accounting, finance, marketing, and management information systems. The Certificate is available entirely via online or distance delivery. This is ideal for those working full-time, exploring a second career in business, military personnel, out-of-state or international students, or individuals intent on applying for the MBA Programme in the future. Many of the same courses taught in the Certificate program are also offered on-campus, providing students the option of attending the Maine Business School at The University of Maine in Orono. Graduate courses taken in the Certificate program will apply toward MBA program completion for admitted students, (this does not include BUA 400 and ECO 410). This is a 15 credit hour certificate. Courses listed below do not need to be taken in a specific order, although a good start would be to take BUA 400 in the summer and ECO 410 in the fall. Pathway to MBA Requirements: No GMAT is required for the Graduate Business Certificate; however, it is a requirement when applying to the MBA Programme in keeping with The University of Maine admission standards, AACSB accreditation standards, and selectivity of the Maine Business School. Students are advised to apply via the Graduate Application and meet all application requirements. However, students who complete the Graduate Business Certificate will be given strong consideration for entry to the MBA with GMAT scores less than 550, whereas they are otherwise qualified, meet the UMaine graduate requirements, and have demonstrated academic success in the Certificate program. Academic Standards: Consistent with The Maine Business School’s high academic standards, students must earn no less than a B- in each course of the Graduate Business Certificate.
Courses listed below do not need to be taken in a specific order though a good start would be the BUA 400 in the summer and ECO 410 offered in the fall. Required Courses (6 credits)
- BUA 400: Introduction to Accounting. An accelerated course that provides pre-MBA students with an introduction to managerial and financial accounting. Offered online in the summer.
- ECO 410: Accelerated Introductory Economics. An accelerated presentation of the fundamental elements of micro- and macroeconomic theory. Offered online in the fall.
Elective Courses (9 credits)
- In addition to the two required courses listed above, students must take three 600-level BUA classes selected from the MBA required core. Those classes and when they are offered online are:
- BUA 601: Statistical Analysis and Modeling of Organizational Operations. Familiarizes the student with statistical data analysis and management science techniques as they support decision-making throughout an organisation. Prerequisite is any statistics course.
- BUA 605: Creating & Capturing Value in the Digital Economy. Represents an integration of concepts and principles from the Marketing and Management Information Science disciplines. Prerequisite: BUA 270 Marketing or equivalent, or successful completion of the MBA Marketing Tutorial.
- BUA 651: Financial Management. An MBA course that provides a foundation in financial management. Prerequisite is financial and managerial accounting, which can be met by taking BUA 400 or two undergraduate courses in financial and managerial accounting; and principles of finance course or the MBA program’s finance tutorial.
- BUA 609: Financial Statement Analysis. This course is designed to help students understand how to use and analyse financial statements for making valuation and business decisions. Prerequisite is financial and managerial accounting, which can be met by taking BUA 400 or two undergraduate courses in financial and managerial accounting.
- BUA 626 Management of Contemporary Organizations. Explores analytical perspectives to understand how individuals organise themselves in accomplishing organizational goals. Applies a managerial approach with a focus on real-life contemporary organizations. Prerequisite is a basic management course or the MBA program’s marketing tutorial.
- BUA 620 Business Law. Introduces managers to current U.S. laws and regulations that impact on the operations of a business. This course has no prerequisites.
Alternative 600 level BUA courses may substitute with permission of the MBA Director.
Students apply via the online application through the Graduate School. When you are ready to apply, please first review the Application Instructions. Then, complete your online application. Admission criteria:
- Certificate students must have an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a recommended GPA of 3.0. Official transcripts must be provided.
- Two letters of recommendation. Students may be admitted provisionally and take one class before the letters are received.
- International students must meet Graduate School TOEFL requirements.
No standardized test (GMAT) is required for the Certificate, although if the Certificate student later desires to apply for the MBA program the GMAT is required. UMaine baccalaureate graduates are exempt from submitting official UMaine transcripts but must send official transcripts from all other college/universities attended. Academic Standards: Consistent with The Maine Business School’s high academic standards, students must earn no less than a B- in each course of the Graduate Business Certificate. For specific program details or discussion, schedule an appointment or contact: Dr. Richard Borgman
Director of the MBA Programme
5723 DP Corbett Business Bldg, Rm 209
Maine Business School
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
What can I with a Graduate Business Certificate?
Graduates of this certificate program can enter into several mid to senior level positions. Those interested in operating their own business will find this certificate helpful. Potential career and career tracks include:
- Marketing Manager
- Human resources
- Financial Analyst
- Business Consultant
This is also a good first step for those seeking an MBA.
15 credit hours
Cost & Fees
- $418/cr. in-state and
- $523/cr. out-of-state
Fall / Spring / Summer
This school offers programs in: