General Overview Graduate Certificate in Classroom Technology Integrationist
A collaborative certificate between the University of Maine, the University of Maine Farmington, and the University of Southern Maine K-12 classroom teachers are increasing their use of technology across curriculum areas. This certificate is designed to provide classroom teachers with the knowledge and skills to integrate the technology currently within their schools. Learner outcomes will be around advancing student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments; design, development, and evaluation of authentic learning experience and assessment using contemporary tools; and finally learner outcomes will include global societal issues and responsibilities in the digital age. This certificate is designed to provide classroom teachers with the knowledge and skills to integrate the technology currently within their schools and districts. Educational Objectives:
- Teachers use their knowledge of subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments.
- Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessment incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the International Society of Educational Technology (ISTE) student standards.
- Teachers understand local and global societal issues and responsibilities in an evolving digital culture and exhibit legal and ethical behavior in their professional practices.
(All work is based on the national ISTE standards and profiles.) Learning Outcomes:
- Students examine the roles of video in education and the technology behind video as an information medium.
- Students will be introduced to how to use Moodle, a Learning Management System.
- Students will discover, evaluate and develop Web 2.0 tools in order to engage their own Pk-12 students with real-world problems and applications.
- Students will learn how to use the Google suite of online tools for educational purposes
- Students will identify and be able to discuss educational issues of copyright, plagiarism, and fair use.
- Students will thoroughly investigate, evaluate and create online constructivist tools such as WebQuest or Lit Trips.
Programme Requirements (12 credits)
The certificate program includes one required course and three electives. Courses will be offered annually:
- Required Course
- EDT 520 Methods of Teaching with Computer Technology 3cr.
- 9 credits of Innovative Educator Electives (potential titles below)
- Technology Supported Inquiry Based Teaching and Learning
- Introduction to Flipped, Blended, and Online Learning
- Technology and Assessment
- Summer Technology Institute
- Supporting Elementary School Humanities with Technology
- Supporting Middle and High School Humanities with Technology
- Supporting K12 Math and Science with Technology
- Technology for Young Learners
- Security, Privacy and Data Systems
- Designing Networks to Optimize Learning
- Special Topics in Educational Technology (EDT 598)
What can I do with a Graduate Certificate in Classroom Technology Integrationist?
A Classroom Technology Integrationist Certificate is perfect for teachers that want to be more effective and marketable without the time and investment of a Masters Degree. School Technologists and others who consult in an educational setting will find this certificate program a valuable addition to your academic and professional development.
12 credit hours
Cost & Fees
- $418/cr. in-state and
- $523/cr. out-of-state
Fall / Spring / Summer
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 22, 2017