Use current examples to explore the potential benefits of big environmental data
From weather fluctuations to the spread of an invasive species, what problems can scientists address by analyzing these vast data collections? What are the potential benefits of business, research, and our daily lives?
Find out about possible career paths and gain insights from industry experts and research scientists working on a range of current projects. From urban planning to monitoring wildlife, explore the complexities of managing and analyzing big data to seek innovative solutions.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: Introduction to big data
- Sources of big data, including satellites for looking at the surface of the Earth
- Environmental analytics and the link to big data
- Computing power, processing, and storage of environmental data
Week 2: Data to Discovery
- Open data
- The challenges of working with data
- The skills and knowledge of a data scientist
Week 3: Big and Small Data
- Citizen science for climate simulation and ecology
- Real-life examples of environmental analytics
- Visualising data
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to
- Explain the characteristics and identify sources of big data
- Explore applications of data in environmental science for business
- Understand the skills necessary to be a data scientist
- Discuss the importance of open data and participate in citizen science
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at professionals seeking a better understanding of big environmental data and the potential these offer to address key questions and underpin novel solutions for business.
It is also relevant to anyone studying environmental topics with a general interest in big data analytics and the complexities and issues surrounding the collection, curation, and application of these vast data sets.
This school offers programs in: