Make informed decisions about pressing environmental issues.
What will our future look like? Will we continue burning fossil fuels or will we live in a 100% renewable world? How can we address climate change and what policies do we need to implement?
We will provide you with model examples to make you familiar with aspects of economic modelling and state-of-the-art research on current debates in energy policy.
This online course explores these concerns, using models in environmental and energy economics. You will learn how to design models, how to interpret and use results to make informed decisions, and how to use models to assess energy and environmental policies.
What topics will you cover?
- Climate change and energy policies.
- Evidence-based recommendations on current problems of energy policy.
- Models in environmental economics and energy economics.
- Building blocks of models and possible applications.
- Informed decisions by the results of different modelling approaches.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to...
- Develop and use models in environmental economics and energy economics, covering conceptual aspects, basic design choices, and numerical and computational challenges.
- Discuss topical issues like climate change and energy policies.
- Discuss the role of modelling in economic decision making.
- Explore different modelling approaches.
- Investigate in the mathematical formulation underlying models.
- Apply your knowledge to example models and adjust their specifications.
- Interpret and use the results of different modelling approaches to make informed decisions.
- Investigate potential future energy scenarios.
- Reflect on the role of economic models for policy evaluations.
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for anyone interested in the topics of environmental economics and energy economics, including students at MSc or advanced BA level and policymakers.
To gain the most from this course, we encourage you to examine the details of the provided model examples, which require some basic knowledge of mathematics and microeconomics.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 12, 2017