Learn to speak, write and understand the second official language of the Netherlands with this free introductory language course.
Did you know that, besides Dutch, a second official language is spoken in the Netherlands? It’s a language even more closely related to English than Dutch. This language is called Frisian.
What topics will you cover?
- Reading and listening to dialogues about work, study, hobbies, eating, living, weather and the time
- Understanding the grammar around the conjugation of verbs, word order, personal and possessive pronouns, adjectives, modal verbs and making questions
- Writing and speaking assignments including introducing oneself and speaking about working and living
What will you achieve?
- Apply basic Frisian vocabulary and grammar in a range of everyday situations
- Produce short written statements in Frisian about everyday life
- Discuss simple concepts, situations, and needs in Frisian
Who is the course for?
Maybe you’re interested in minority languages. Or perhaps you’re keen to learn the language that is considered to be very close to English. Or it could be that you have Frisian roots or plan to visit the beautiful province of Friesland and would like to understand the local language.
This course is aimed at people with no prior knowledge of the Frisian language, who have a strong interest in learning languages. It will give you a taste of language skills that will help you to survive in a Frisian-speaking environment. The main focus will be on receptive skills like reading and listening. It will be taught in English.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 17, 2018