Faced with a daily deluge of information, we have never had greater need of clear communication skills. This free course offers you a practical grounding in using a range of communication media, which will boost your personal effectiveness, save you time and reduce your stress levels.
Improve your written and verbal communication skills
You will discover the principles of writing influential documents for work such as reports and proposals. As you learn simple frameworks for emails and meetings you’ll immediately put them into practice and increase your productivity. You will find new confidence in your ability to make convincing presentations and conduct productive meetings – whether virtual or face to face. You will develop communication approaches that are sensitive to cultural and personal difference and are tailored to the occasion, whether online, in print or face to face.
Develop fundamental business and finance skills
This course has been developed by The Open University Business School – a pioneering institution that is triple accredited by AMBA, EQUIS, and AACSB. It is one of eight from The Open University, designed to help you gain fundamental business and financial skills, including communication, networking, relationship building, project management, personal financial planning and management, investment and financial services. You can complete this course as part of one of these two programs: Business Fundamentals: four courses, which will boost your employability and effectiveness at work, and enable you to earn a FutureLearn Award. Business and Finance Fundamentals: eight courses; holders of FutureLearn Certificates of Achievement for all eight courses can earn 30 UK credits towards The Open University Business School’s BA in Business Management by passing a linked Open University assessment module (requiring separate OU registration and fee).
What topics will you cover?
- Making effective phone calls and writing emails
- Online communication in a professional context
- Delivering effective presentations
- Writing professional reports and proposals
- Conducting productive meetings
- The future trends in professional communication
What will you achieve?
- Apply and understand principles of effective communication in a range of media
- Improve your writing skills for greater work and study success
- Apply simple but powerful frameworks to get more out of email and telephone calls in less time
- Design and create more convincing presentations and run more productive meetings
- Develop cultural and interpersonal sensitivity in your communication behavior
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for anyone seeking to develop their fundamental business skills, whether to increase their employability or secure a promotion. The course does not require any previous study of communication. For further information about registration, the final assessment course, your eligibility and the BA in Business Management, visit the Open University website. The Open University does not operate in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. This means that Learners based in those countries will not be able to convert their participation in this Programme to Open University course credits.
This school offers programs in: