Teaching English is a fantastic way to see the world. And it’s immensely satisfying – you get to see students achieve great things with their new skills.
That’s why thousands of people take up posts around the globe every year, teaching English as a foreign language.
If you want to join them, now’s your chance. This online course explores the ins and outs of English Language Teaching (ELT), covering what ELT involves and where you can teach it.
You’ll get advice from fellow teachers and experts from Cambridge English Language Assessment, helping you to teach English abroad or at home.
What topics will you cover?
- Places to teach
- Types of classes
- Motivations for learning English
- Learners and the learning context
- Different types of learners
- Ways to motivate learners
- Planning for learning
- Classroom management and language
Language skills: reading, listening, speaking, writing
- Basic concepts and terminology used for describing communication skills; reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Potential barriers to acquiring communication skills and suggestions for helping learners overcome them
Language analysis and awareness
- Basic concepts and terminology used in ELT for describing language; grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation
- Potential barriers to learning language and suggestions for helping learners overcome them
- Published resources
- Authentic materials
- Digital tools
- Issues relating to selecting materials
Becoming an English language teacher
- Qualities of an English language teacher
- Different training options
- Preparing for a CELTA course
Terminology relating to ELT
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to...
- Identify ELT terminology
- Engage with key topics in ELT
- Evaluate a variety of ELT teaching and learning materials
- Discuss different types of learners
- Identify classroom management techniques
- Explore language systems and language skills
- Apply practical ideas about materials and activities for future use with learners
- Evaluate training options
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in TEFL, either in your own country or abroad. No prior knowledge is required to take part in the course.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 17, 2018