Explore the world of football (soccer), the money, the rivalries, the trends, the past, the present, the men’s game, the woman’s game and the real issues. Whether you love it, hate it or try to ignore it – join us as we go behind the scenes to examine why football is more than just a game.
From street soccer to multi-million dollar transfers, from the men’s game to the women’s, from the global to the local, from the beaches of Brazil to the fight against poverty this online course looks beyond the pitch, to explore football’s role in society and possibly a community near you.
What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to early history, origins, and myths about football
- Golden football moments
- The rise of global football, FIFA, and the Big 5 Football Leagues
- Introduction to football finance and wealth
- Great football clubs, nations, rivalries and matches that changed the world
- Introduction to football data, trends and what it tells us
- Who are the world champions and what makes them champions?
- The rise, popularity, and myths about women’s football
- Tackling inequality, homelessness, and health through football
- Introduction to football governance, ownership and power
- What makes a great football team?
- Is football more than a game?
- Meet a football legend and their views on Brazil and the greatest footballer they played against
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to...
- Understand the importance of concepts to explain football in different countries
- Understand and explain the role of football in international development
- Critically examine and understand the use of data and evidence
- Consider the role of history in explaining trends and change
- Develop communication, IT and data analysis skills
- Apply knowledge, skills, and understanding to explain why Football is more than a game
- Develop autonomy, accountability and working with others
Who is the course for?
Is this course only for football experts and fans?
Not at all, everyone is welcome - anybody interested in football and its place in the world. We recommend a broad interest in football as a contemporary phenomenon - you will cover some of the top football clubs, grass-roots football projects, the FIFA World Cup, and the Homeless World Cup.
What resources will I need for this class?
All you need is internet access to join in the discussions and time to work on each week’s content.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 17, 2018