This free online course is for English language teachers around the world. It will help you develop the skills and practices you need for your continuing professional development (CPD).
This course is part of our Teaching for Success: Practices for English Language Teaching program. In the program, we will look at the 12 professional practices for CPD on the British Council’s teacher development framework.
In this course you will look at four professional practices :
- Integrating ICT
- Promoting 21st-century skills
- Using multilingual approaches
- Understanding educational policies and practice.
Learn with English language teachers worldwide
Each week will focus on one of these practices. Short video interviews with experienced teachers will be combined with classroom films from around the world to illustrate the main points.
Video tutors, Suzanne and Claire, will guide you through each week’s content, offering tips, advice and downloadable resources at every stage.
You will be asked to share your own experiences and opinions as you become part of a global community of English language teachers discussing what leads to success.
The course draws on the British Council’s many years of expertise in teacher training and development around the world. It will be useful for teachers of English at primary, secondary or higher levels.
What topics will you cover?
Promoting 21st-century skills
- Understanding 21st-century skills
- Critical thinking
- Collaboration and communication
- Fostering creativity
- How does technology affect the way we teach
- Evaluating technology
- Technology, autonomy, and collaboration
Understanding educational policies and practice
- How educational policy affects teachers
- Child protection
- Internet safety
- Applying policy
Using multilingual approaches
- Your classroom linguistic context
- The impact of other languages on learning
- Multilingual teaching approaches
- World Englishes and the future of English
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to...
- Compare teaching approaches and experience with others from around the world.
- Assess the relevance of 21st-century skills for English language learners.
- Discuss the impact that technology has had on what and how we teach.
- Evaluate a range of learning technologies and their usefulness.
- Explore the impact that national policies have on classroom practice.
- Reflect on the importance of child protection and consider whose role its implementation should be.
- Assess the importance and influence of learners' L1 in their language learning.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 15, 2018