Why join the course?
Brands are the most potent commercial and cultural force on the planet. Think about McDonald’s, Apple, Manchester United, Tate, Google or even Harry Potter. This free online course will help you get under the skin of such brands, and ask how and why they become so powerful.
The University of East Anglia has teamed up with one the world’s most influential brand consultancies, Wolff Olins, to bring you this course. It’s built on their hugely successful joint MSc in Brand Leadership and shares the same course leader - renowned branding consultant, Robert Jones.
Where could this course take me?
If you’re developing a career in branding - or if you work in a related area, like strategy, marketing or innovation - this course is for you. It will support your professional development, and also provide you with a taste of what taking a Masters in branding or brand management would be like.
What and how will I learn?
You’ll learn directly from practitioners at companies like Virgin and Google, and watch brand experts in action. You’ll get a rich mixture of powerful theory and practical tools. With branding changing so rapidly, you’ll get the very latest insights and methods from the converging worlds of technology, design and brand.
The course ends by setting up the next stage of your journey. We’ll be opening up the many topics in branding that still need research. And you’ll learn how to define your own personal brand, and plan the next steps in your life in branding.
What topics will you cover?
- How brands work: the role brands play in our lives, how brands have changed over time, how brands make a commercial and social impact
- How brands are managed: the branding industry, the changing world of brand management, managing multiple brands
- How brands get defined: how brands begin, the aims and shape of a branding project, techniques for defining what a brand wants to stand for
- How brands get designed: great brand design, the four dimensions of brand design, the fluid processes that lead to great brand design
- How brands drive organisations: the idea of the brand-led business, the four quadrants of brand action, the role of brand in innovation and change
- Where brands are going next: the future of brands, your personal brand, ways to continue the journey
What will you achieve?
- Explain what a brand is, and how it influences people’s actions
- Describe the shape, and the changing dynamics, of the branding industry
- Start to build a brand by defining a sense of purpose
- Evaluate the role of design in branding, and the four dimensions on which it works
- Assess the advantages and techniques of brand-led management
- Imagine the future of branding, and start to build their own personal brand
Who is the course for?
No academic requirements, but you’ll need to have a deep interest in brands and how they work.
- FREE online course
- Duration: 6 weeks
- 3 hours pw
- Certificates available
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 11, 2017