Essentials of Business Graduate Certificate
The 12-hour Graduate Certificate in Essentials of Business provides tools for a wide variety of business areas, including accounting, finance, management, ISQS, and marketing. Courses in this certificate may be utilized toward the M.B.A. degree at acceptance and may be used as electives in other degree programs.
The Rawls College of Business recognizes that many qualified individuals would like to obtain advanced knowledge but cannot commit to a full degree program. A certificate demonstrates an individual's desire to master his/her field or to seek new knowledge about a particular area of interest. Knowledge gained can improve job performance. A certificate can enhance a resume and help the individual stand out in a competitive job market.
Completing the prescribed course of study leads to a certificate, officially recognized by the university, and not to a degree. If a student chooses to pursue a graduate degree, completed coursework may be applied toward that degree plan.
To pursue a graduate certificate, students must meet the following criteria:
- A bachelor's degree is required to start a graduate certificate program. Note: Texas Tech undergraduates, within 12 hours of completion of a bachelor's degree, may start taking courses toward a graduate certificate with an advisor's approval.
- Students must have earned a bachelor's degree to receive a graduate certificate.
- To receive a certificate, a student must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the certificate program.
About the Essentials of Business Graduate Certificate Programme
The 12-hour Graduate Certificate in Essentials of Business provides tools for a wide variety of business areas, including accounting, finance, information systems and quantitative sciences, management, and marketing. Courses in this certificate may be utilized toward the M.B.A. degree at acceptance.
- 12 credit hours
- All courses are offered online.
- Prerequisite: bachelor's degree
- Students are not required to enrol in a certain number of courses each semester, so completion time varies by individual.
- Semester-based courses align with the Academic Calendar of Texas Tech University. New students may enrol at the beginning of any one of the four semesters throughout the year.
Although there is no application deadline, potential students are encouraged to submit all application materials at least two months prior to projected initial enrollment.
1. Complete the ApplyTexas application.
- When asked to select your major, you will choose Graduate Certificate Programme.
- When asked to indicate your major area of interest/specialty, type Essentials of Business.
- When asked what degree you will seek, choose Certification.
- In the Custom Questions section of the application, be sure to choose Essentials of Business from the list of available Graduate Certificate programs.
- If you are outside of Texas Tech, you need to complete the ApplyTexas application for a Certificate program. However, if you are currently a graduate student you DO NOT need to do ApplyTexas, you just need an ADD/CHANGE form.
2. Complete additional application as outlined by the Texas Tech University Graduate School.
- $60 initial application fee or $50 for each subsequent application (including changes of entry date, add/change program requests, or readmission requests).
- Students who plan to pursue only the Agricultural Communications Leadership Graduate Certificate and do not plan to earn a master's degree do not need to submit Graduate Records Exam (GRE) scores to the University.
- Applicants must have official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended sent to Texas Tech University Graduate School.
- International students must also submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score to the Graduate School.
3. Rawls College of Business has an application that must be completed independently of the application to Graduate School.
4. Check the Applications tab in your Raiderlink for notification of a change in your admissions status.
5. Faculty advisors in our building only work with Ph.D. students, not Master's or Certificate students. There is no degree plan for Certificate students.
Certificate programs can be pursued independently or concurrently with a master's program.
Required Courses: 12 hours
For the Essentials of Business Certificate to be awarded, a student must have a Rawls GPA of 3.0 or higher.
While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy in reporting courses, policies, and other statements, the University reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice.
Program taught in: