Learn how to help engineer a biobased future from the top experts in the field at the #1 ranked agricultural university in the world.
The world is moving from using fossil resources to sustainable biobased resources. In this new world, it’s critical to determine if alternative biobased resources have the potential to become truly sustainable and economically viable. For companies in this industry, it’s important to know the challenges that lie ahead. This MicroMasters Program is intended for those currently working in the energy, chemical, and biotech industries. It will focus on the use of chemical and biotechnological approaches for the production of energy-carriers, polymers, chemical building blocks and materials from renewable resources and waste streams. Completion of this MicroMasters Program in Biobased Sciences will enable you to discover new resources and help your company make the switch from fossil to renewable, biobased resources.
- Average Length: 6-9 weeks per course
- Effort: 15-20 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 6 Courses in Program
- Subject: Business & Management, Social Sciences, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Science, Chemistry
- Institution: Wageningen University & Research
- Institution Offering Credit: Wageningen University & Research
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): Free to try or pursue the MicroMasters credential for $1194
- Careers in industries such as (bio)chemical industry, agrifood water companies, energy producers, logistics, and related governmental and non-governmental organizations
- Exciting career opportunities for traditionally and newly trained: (Bio)chemical engineers, process engineers, Supply chain manager, Product managers, entrepreneurs, consultants and business developers in a biobased business
- Research scientist, Microbiologist, Bioprocess specialist
- The US biobased products Industry Contributes $369 Billion and 4 Million Jobs to American economy
- EU employment in the Biobased sector accounts for 13.8 million jobs
What You'll Learn:
- Understand the challenges of switching from a fossil fuel based economy to a biobased economy.
- Understand how to identify suitable raw materials and create valuable new products.
- Learn how to refine biomass without damaging its valuable components.
- Perform a functional analysis of potential methods that can be used for refining a resource.
- Learn how to efficiently convert biobased feedstocks into desired products.
- Evaluate technological, ethical, societal and economic consequences in the production of biobased products.
- Judge innovations on their sustainability and business merits.
- Apply the circular economy principles to a process or product chain.
MicroMasters Program Details
How To Earn The MicroMasters Credential Successfully complete and earn a Verified Certificate in six courses. Take Your Credential To The Next Level Accelerate through the Master Biobased Sciences at Wageningen University. You can use your MicroMasters Credential to easily apply for the full on-campus research master programme at Wageningen University and Research (#1 Agricultural University in the World, NTU ranking 2016). The on-campus Master of Biobased Sciences is a 120 ECTS programme that usually takes two years to complete. If you have successfully completed the MicroMasters Program you may be able to finish it in just 1,5 years. Despite following a MicroMasters Program, students who want to enroll an MSc program at Wageningen University & Research must always have:
- At least a BSc degree or equivalent in a field closely related to the chosen MSc programme
- A Grade Point Average (GPA) for the relevant BSc of at least 70% of the maximum grade
- Proof of English proficiency by an IELTS with an overall grade 6.0 and with a minimum sub-score of 6.0 for speaking
- Biobased Principles and Opportunities
Learn why the biobased economy is so important for achieving sustainability and how it can increase company profit and consumer demand.
- Biobased Processes and Implementation
Discover how to use microorganisms and catalysts to create biobased products, and then learn how to market and sell those products.
- Advanced Biorefinery
Learn how to design an effective biorefinery to obtain valuable components from various biobased feedstocks.
- Advanced Biobased Conversion
Design new (bio)catalytic conversion routes to use biobased feedstocks to their highest potential as building blocks.
- Circular Economy
Learn how to design various structures of a biobased supply-chain and how to choose the best alternative based on quantitative analysis.
- Biobased Sciences for Sustainability Capstone
Use the skills and knowledge gained in the Biobased Sciences for Sustainability MicroMasters to design a sustainable biobased process.
What is a MicroMasters Program? Developed to advance a career and born from Master's programs of leading universities, MicroMasters programs are a series of higher-level courses recognized by companies for real job relevancy, and may accelerate a Master's degree.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 19, 2017