How do designers incorporate their personal vision for the future into their designs? Join this course to move beyond human-centered design and learn a unique design approach where your own vision plays a central role. This course provides training for professional designers and other innovation professionals in the design method 'Vision in Product Design' (ViP). ViP is a method developed at TU Delft that forces you to examine the ideas underlying your design in great detail, before coming to a manifestation: What exactly is it that you want people to understand, experience or do? The rationale behind this method is designing for the future. The majority of institutional design today is focused on a human-centered approach, using user research as the primary input for designing products and services. However, this approach is not foolproof, especially when designing for a future context which users cannot predict and/or do not have an explicit vision for. Instead of trying to formulate a product idea that matches the goal, the ViP method asks the designer to come up with a vision of the relationship between the user and the product, and then use that vision as the basis for your design. The ViP design approach is grounded in three basic principles:
- Future-oriented - a designer's job is to look for possibilities and possible futures, instead of solving everyday problems.
- Interaction centered - products are a means to accomplish or develop appropriate interactions and relationships.
- Context-driven - the appropriateness of any interaction conceived by a designer is determined by the context for which it has been designed.
This interactive course will show you how to apply this method to your future projects. It is taught through a combination of short lectures by design experts, practical exercises, a webinar and individualized feedback. You will learn how to work with the ViP design method and discover how this can help you to express yourself as a creative professional. Over the course of 4 weeks, you will apply knowledge from videos and reading materials to a particular field, going through the steps of the ViP method, engaging in lively discussions with other students and experts in the field. You will be equipped with a new perspective and tools that will prove valuable additions to your design capabilities. Throughout the course, you will master the ViP method and will be able to:
- Deconstruct an existing product/service on three levels: product, interaction, and context.
- Construct a future design context for products.
- Establish a worldview for a future context.
- Create a statement that reflects your personal vision (describing the goal of your creation).
- Establish human-product interactions for what you would like to create.
- Conceptualize your design ideas.
- Use the ViP method as a communication tool to justify your business decisions.
- Cost: € 375
- Course Length: 4 weeks
- Estimated Effort: 3 - 4 hours per week
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 27, 2017