Certificate of Higher Education in Sport, Fitness and Management
Online United Kingdom
1 - 2 Year
Full time, Part time
GBP 6,924 / per year
Earliest start date
What makes a top-flight sports coach or fitness instructor? This certificate investigates the factors that contribute to success and gives you an in-depth knowledge of how the sector works. Focusing on the needs of participants or clients, you’ll explore training, nutrition, motivation and leadership; and increase your effectiveness and skills in these areas. As you study, you’ll always come back to what matters most: applying theory to practice.
Key features of the course
- Offers flexible learning that fits around your sport, fitness and work commitments
- Demonstrates a strong applied focus through the extensive use of audiovisual case studies
- Uses innovative technology such as augmented reality to enhance your learning
- Builds a solid foundation for further study
A nationally recognised qualification in its own right, this certificate of higher education is also equivalent to the first third of our BA (Honours) Sport, Fitness and Coaching (Q76).
We make all our qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The Certificate of Higher Education in Sport, Fitness and Management uses a variety of study materials and has the following elements:
- studying online – some modules have a mixture of printed and online material, and others are entirely online. Online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes
- online tutorials
- using mathematical and scientific expressions, notations and associated techniques
- working in a group with other students
- using and/or producing diagrams and/or screenshots
- finding external/third party material online
- using technology for research purposes involving access to catalogues and databases online
- continuous and end-of-module assessment in the form of essays and short answer questions
- using feedback: continuous assessment involves receiving detailed feedback on your work from your tutor and using this feedback to improve your performance
- engagement with learning and assessment within a pre-determined schedule or timetable – time management will be needed during your studies and the University will help you to develop these skills throughout your degree.
All qualifications require you to complete learning and assessment activities within a required timescale and according to pre-determined deadlines. You will therefore need to manage your time effectively during your studies and the University will help you to develop this skill throughout your degree. Information on assessment will be available to you at the start of each module.
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increase as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; e-learning resources like podcasts, interactive media and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
This qualification has one stage, comprising 120 credits.
- In Stage 1, you’ll study two modules that will introduce you to sport and fitness within the industry.
Prepare for OU study with an Access module
We offer two starting points depending on how confident you are or how long it’s been since you last studied. Choose to dive straight in at Stage 1, or if you’d prefer some extra preparation, you can get started with an optional Access module.