MSc Public Policy and Management (Online)
SOAS University of London
London, United Kingdom
2 - 5 years
Full time, Part time
GBP 10,080 / per year
Earliest start date
Mode of Attendance: Online learning
Our MSc Public Policy and Management programme will enable you with the conceptual tools and the practical skills to analyse, understand, and play a role in the policy and administrative process.
The modules of the programme will equip students with theoretical knowledge about policy-making, policy implementation, and the management of public sector entities. A variety of modules will provide students with the possibility to deepen their understanding of more specific areas such as, for example, the management of human resources in the public sector, the public financial management process, the decentralisation of public functions and the collaboration between public and private entities. Along the way, students will develop capabilities to analyse, critically appraise and communicate which will provide valuable assets for their professional activity and career prospects.
The subject area of public policy and management refers to all systems, processes and tools that public authorities employ to fulfil citizens’ expectations and deliver public services. Whatever the domain of intervention – for example, from healthcare to energy or from poverty to environmental preservation – public authorities make decisions about how to assess the present state of affairs and future tendencies, whether anything should be done about them, and how they can use resources and mechanisms to steer the conduct of individuals, firms and NGOs towards the desired effects.
Why study MSc in Public Policy and Management at SOAS
- Programmes are delivered by a multicultural and international teaching body, who regularly publish in top international journals
- You will develop an excellent understanding of key issues shaping international business strategy
- We are specialists in the delivery of more than forty African and Asian languages. As the economies of the Global South continue to expand, knowledge of another language and other cultures will be a big asset in the world of commerce and international trade
- You will be joining our community of alumni and academics who have an impact on the outside world of academia
You will study six modules selected from the list below.
If you wish to complete the Dissertation you must study Research Methods.
- Decentralisation and Local Governance
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment
- Financial Reporting (IPSAS)
- Human Resource Management and Development
- Managing Organisational Change
- Privatisation and Public-Private Partnerships
- Project Appraisal
- Project, Programme and Policy Evaluation
- Public Financial Management: Audit and Compliance
- Public Financial Management: Planning and Performance
- Public Financial Management: Revenue
- Public Policy and Management: Development Assistance
- Public Policy and Management: Perspectives and Issues
- Public Policy and Strategy
- Regulation of Infrastructure and Utilities
- Research Methods
- The IMF and Economic Policy
The information on the programme page reflects the intended programme structure against the given academic session. If you are a current student you can find structure information through your Department.
As a graduate of this programme, you will be well prepared for senior positions in national and sub-national government sectors, international organisations, regional development and aid agencies, and NGOs.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.